November 12, 2010

Painted Fall Plate

Isn't that a cute little dish?  I think I just need some yummy pumpkin muffins or mini pecan pies to go on it now.  So who wants to make them for me?  :) 

My sweet friend Kendra had a plate painting party at her house where we all painted plates following this tutorial.  Of course I can't do any kind of craft without incorporating fabric somehow, so I dreamed this up.

I free handed the tree and wording, then used leaf and flower shapes from one of my Sizzix dies to trace the outline of the leaves and flowers.  (Sorry I don't have any in-progress pictures here.)  I cooked the paint to let it set, according to the instructions in the tutorial link above.  Then, I used the same Sizzix die with some fall-colored fabric to cut out the colorful leaves and flowers.

I Mod Podged the flowers and leaves to the plate.  Just like when you are painting, you need to think in reverse and the items you want in the "front" need to go down first


After all the flowers and leaves were on, I traced the shape of the tree onto some paper by holding the plate right side up to the light, then cut it out.  Now, trace the REVERSE image of the tree onto the WRONG side of the fabric.  This will make sure the right side of the fabric is up and that you won't see any tracing lines once it is cut out.

I noticed that even though the Mod Podge dries clear, you could still see traces of it through the glass, so I just took advantage of the look and painted on Mod Podge in swirling patterns to imitate the leaves blowing in the wind.

This was a really fun and pretty quick project.  If you really get motivated, you could make some cute chargers for your Thanksgiving table.  :)

When I can put some time together, I want to share my pictures from the International Quilt Festival.  It was AMAZING, as always.  I am always blown away by the talent that is out there!  So, stay tuned, there are some really pretty pictures coming your way!!

1 comment: