December 7, 2010

Handmade Christmas Gifts

Handmade Christmas gifts are the best!!  I don't think there is any better way to tell people that you mean a lot to them than by making something with your hands.  I think this is the main reason I get so overwhelmed at Christmas time, I want to make something for every special someone in my life.  Since I have been so blessed to have so many special people in my life, the "I'll make that up real quick" craft list gets a little out of control - ok, a LOT out of control.

Even if you're not a sewer or crafter, you can still make your loved ones something - bake something, write up coupons for whatever they like (make supper, do the laundry, clean my room, give a big hug) for them to redeem during the year, attempt a craft, the ideas are endless.  I think some of the best gifts are NOT precisely made, professionally executed, exactly matching pieces of work.  It's the thought and time - that is the precious gift.

I received a very precious handmade gift (it's even more special because I don't get a lot of handmade gifts outside of my family - my family rocks at handmade gifts, by the way).  My friend Yolanda, who is in her 80s, hand sewed this entire apron including the embroidery along the bottom and on the pocket.



Isn't that the neatest embellishment for gingham?  Click on the picture for a closer look.  This guy didn't touch a sewing machine, she hand tacked all the hems, attached the strings and pocket by hand, everything.  I think it's just great!  Fun to think about how our grandmothers used to sew all their garments by hand.  What a treasure.  :)

We had our beginning piecing class this past weekend.  It was a lot of fun, I think all the ladies enjoyed themselves.  Here is a picture of them showing off their first blocks in the quilt.  They are all quick learners, we may have some budding new quilters among us!  :)  Great work, ladies!


Completely unrelated, but I'm so excited that I have some type of gardening skills - my Christmas cactus is blooming for the first time since I brought it home from the nursery.  Just had to post proof that I've kept something alive and thriving.  :)


Ok, going to get back to that handmade Christmas gift list.  Are you making anything handmade this year?  I'd love to hear about it - and see pics, of course.

1 comment:

  1. The class was so fun Candice! Although I look terrible in that picture - pretty sure my nose was running.

    ReplyDelete