September 8, 2010

Baby Quilt in Progress

As part of my process pledge, I'll share the "process" (haha!) I follow when not following the pattern goes bad.  This happens all the time to me, but I like the challenge to figure out some creative way to save the day.

I bought this kit to make a quilt for my sister.  (Side note: Connecting Threads is a great place to get very reasonably priced fabric.  I do always pre-wash my fabric from them before I sew - just to avoid any surprises.)  The pattern had a clever way to make the flying geese, but it involved cutting almost 200 little squares and I just couldn't get motivated - I'm always anxious to just get started sewing.  So, I decided to use the Square in a Square technique.  Here are a few blocks in progress.


I knew it would use more fabric, but I thought I would be close - surely they sent a little extra, right?  False.  Now I have 78 of the 144 geese needed, and no more of the light background fabric. 



On to Plan B from here.  I'm currently thinking about doing a bigger block in the middle maybe with some applique (one of the little birds from the fabric perhaps) and using the geese as a border.  I plan to start laying out the pieces I have tonight and see what ideas come to me.  I'll keep you posted on the progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment